Saturday, February 7, 2009

Will work for money!

Hmm. Jesse and I applied with the Princess Cruise Lines to work in Alaska this summer. We both had our interview last Monday and we thought all went well (Jesse would be a server and I'd be a hostess). We are still waiting to hear back from them! It's frustrating because until we know what we're doing this summer, it's hard to make other plans. I don't know why they wouldn't hire us, but you never know, maybe they just have a ton of stellar workers lined up who have years of experience.

I'm somewhat torn, because while I think Alaska would be a great experience, it pays for crap and we wouldn't come out ahead, be about breaking even. So that other part of me thinks that we should be looking for "career" jobs and screw Alaska. I've started applying for jobs back in Utah; applied for 10 with the UofU just tonight. We'd rather try for work in New Mexico or Arizona but we don't have any friends or family we could crash with while looking for work, and we have tons of friends and family in Utah who'd be willing to let us couch surf for a bit. So as it stands, we're just looking for anything and everything.

Jesse and I had a date day yesterday. For lunch we hit up a sushi restaurant, and I think I must say that it is my new favorite place for sushi! I was so impressed, I took a photo of my order.

Doesn't that look delicious?! I seriously don't think I've ever been to a place where they gave as much filling as this place, I was in heaven! Of course, now I just want to go there every day, and Jesse is denying me! Mmm, smoked salmon, cream cheese, mmm... I was brave and tried a new dish (the longer piece of raw fish, covering a bit of rice). I'd decided it's time for me to branch out, but wanted something safe so I opted for the salmon. It was good, but kind of bland. Had a nice texture and not a bit fishy. Next time maybe I'll try the ever-popular spicy tuna hand roll. We'll see.

Later on we went to see the movie "Taken". We both thought is was a decent action/thriller movie, but not one we want to own. Glad we saw it and all that, but not superb. Dani and I are going to go see "He's just not that into you" sometime next week. I was watching a reality show today called "Jockeys" which is about, you guessed it, jockeys in the horseracing industry. Jesse said, "Holy cow, is there a reality show about EVERYTHING?!" And I said, "Pretty much." So he says, "We should start our own reality show: Unemployed." And I laughed, saying, "I don't think many people would watch. The majority of our day consists of sending out mass résumés, watching TV, and you messing around with the tanks." Then again, in this voyeuristic society, maybe we'd get quite the fan following.

Have you been following the Michael Phelps "scandal"? I think it's extremely stupid they are making such a big deal about it. Yes, if it were a performance-enhancing drug, then maybe I'd get riled about it. But please, it's weed. If anything, it would ruin his game, not enhance it. He'd gain like 20 pounds from all the munchies. I think kids (well, high-school kids) are smart enough to know the difference. He's a 23-year-old person; there are probably thousands of people blazing up right now. The only difference is, he's in the limelight, so a photo of him taking a hit off a bong makes instant news. I have some photos of friends from college, and believe me, no one would pay me a penny for them. It just seems silly to me that our news people are worried about trivial things like this, when our unemployment rate is at an all-time high, with no end yet in sight.

Before we moved to Oregon, I had this idea that I'd be seeing my friends at an exponential rate, compared to when I lived in Utah. Velvet and mom tried to warn me that this probably wasn't going to be the case, but I scoffed and said, no no, I'll see them all the time. Well, I hate to admit it, but Vel and mom were right. And it kind of pisses me off. It seems like I'm making all the effort to get together with friends, go and see them, call them, and it most definitely isn't a two-way street. At first I thought it was just because they weren't used to having me in the state, but come on, it's been three and a half months, and I've seen friends maybe two times. This is just ridiculous, and a little sad. I had hopes that it would be like it was in college, but I guess time does march on, leading people in different directions. How profoundly sad, and slightly depressing.

Psst. I'll tell you a little secret: I have baby fever set to a slow simmer. Seriously. I see people's babies, and I just WANT them. I want to be in a position where we can have kids, anytime we decide to get at 'em. I know we still have about another year to go, hence the slow simmer, and I know the first couple years of marriage it's important to just grow more as a couple, because after those kids come you're basically never having an alone moment again...but still. Give me those babies! I like talking about kids names, usually while we're about to go to sleep, and Jess takes it in a completely other direction, thowing out names he knows I'll hate. He thinks this is supremely amusing. He says we should just wait until there's a baby a-brewing, but you know me, I like to be prepared. And it makes it seem more real, somehow. Something like, if I can't have kids right now, at least I can dream about their names and what they'll look like. Maybe they'll have Jesse's curly dark hair, and my mouth. Or maybe they'll have my odd sense of humor and Jesse's ticklish spots. I love thinking these thoughts.

We have lunch planned with Grandma Baugher and Ginny tomorrow, so it will be nice to see them. Hopefully we'll remember to bring along the camera.

1 comment:

  1. I love that "a slow simmer"! You're so funny! Names are hard to come up with once the bun really is in the oven. I had like 6 girl names that I had loved since high school and not a one made it even as a middle name :( Grant did the same thing with names only he was serious. Japeth? Yuck!

    ReplyDelete